CHANGE THE FACE OF RETAIL BUSINESS WALMART
Walmart the retail business chain gaint, Now in every field of business they acquire Indian e commerce firm flipkart.com. The company started in the year 1962 July 2 by Samuel Moore Walton.Now company has 2.2 million employees are and business of 514 billion dollar.
Samuel Moore Walton
- Sam Walton was born in 1918 in Kingfisher, Oklahoma.
- At the age of 24, he joined the military.
- He married Helen Robson in 1943.
- When his military service ended in 1945, Sam and Helen moved to Iowa and then to Newport, Arkansas. During this time, Sam gained early retail experience, eventually operating his own variety store.
- They choose Bentonville(city in Arkansas) Helen wanted small-town living, and Sam could take advantage of the different hunting seasons that living at the corner of four states had to offer.
- After high school, Walton decided to attend college, hoping to find a better way to help support his family. He attended the University of Missouri as an ROTC cadet
High expectations are the key to everything.
- Died in the year April 5, 1992 (aged 74)Little Rock, Arkansas, U.S.
Behind Story of Walmart
- The above pic is the Walton opens the first Walmart store in Rogers, Arkansas July 2, 1962, incorporated on October 31, 1969.
- As of October 31, 2019, Walmart has 11,438 stores and clubs in 27 countries, operating under 55 different names.
- The different names are Walmart in the United States and Canada and other names are used for other countries Walmart de México y Centroamérica in Mexico and Central America, as Asda in the United Kingdom, as the Seiyu Group in Japan, and as Best Price in India. It has wholly owned operations in Argentina, Chile, Canada, and South Africa.
- company is controlled by the Walton family. Sam Walton’s heirs own over 50 percent of Walmart through their holding company Walton Enterprises and through their individual holdings.
- Walmart was listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 1972.
- In the 1980s, Walmart continued to grow rapidly, and by the company’s 25th anniversary in 1987, there were 1,198 stores with sales of $15.9 billion and 200,000 associates
- In the 1971 first distribution center and Home Office open in Bentonville, Arkansas.
- In the 1975 his visit to a Korean manufacturing facility, Sam Walton introduces the Walmart cheer.
- In the 1980 Walmart reaches $1 billion in annual sales, faster than any other company at that time.Walmart has 276 stores and employs 21,000 associates.
- In the 1984 Sam Walton does the hula on Wall Street, making good on a promise to associates after the company achieves a pre-tax profit of 8% for the previous fiscal year.
- In the 1992 While receiving the Medal of Freedom, Sam Walton articulates the company’s mission of saving people money so they can live better, shortly before passing away at age 74.Rob Walton becomes chairman of the board.Walmart employs 371,000 associates in 1,928 stores and clubs.
- In 1993 Walmart celebrates its first $1 billion sales week.
- In 1996 open first store in China
- In 2000 Walmart.com is founded, for U.S. customers to shop online.Walmart employs more than 1.1 million associates in 3,989 stores and clubs worldwide.
- In 2006 Walmart introduces its $4 generic-drug prescription program.
- In 2007 Walmart.com launches its Site to Store service, enabling customers to make a purchase online and pick up merchandise in stores.
- In 2010 Walmart entry to India, a joint venture called Bharti Walmart.
- In 2012 celebrates the 50 years of Walmart.
- In 2018 company changes its legal name from Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. to Walmart Inc. And the the acquisition of Flipkart in India for the record deal of $16 billion.Walmart acquires Eloquii, Bare Necessities, and Art.com.