MG Cars or Morris Garages
MG, the initials of Morris Garages, is a British automotive marque registered by the now defunct MG Car Company Limited, a British sports car manufacturer begun in the 1920s as a sales promotion sideline within W. R. Morris’s Oxford city retail sales and service business by the business’s manager, Cecil Kimber.Best known for its two-seat open sports cars, MG also produced saloons and cupés. Kimber was an employee of William Morris.
The original MG marque was in continuous use, except for the duration of the Second World War, for 56 years following its inception in 1924. The production of predominantly two-seater sports cars was concentrated at a factory in Abingdon, some 10 miles (16 km) south of Oxford.The British Motor Corporation (BMC) competition department was also based at the Abingdon plant, producing many winning rally and race cars, until the Abingdon factory closed and MGB production ceased in the Autumn of 1980.
The company’s name supposedly originated from the initials of Morris Garages, W R Morris’s (Lord Nuffield’s) original retail sales and service business in Longwall Street, Oxford, when the business’s manager, Cecil Kimber, began promoting sales by producing his own versions. Kimber had joined the company as its sales manager in 1921. He was promoted to general manager in 1922, a position he held until 1941, when he fell out with Lord Nuffield over procuring wartime work. Kimber died in 1945 in a railway accident. The site of the garages was redeveloped in 1980, retaining the original frontage, and is now used as student accommodation by New College.
Debate remains as to when the MG Car Company started, although the first cars bore both Morris and MG badges, in addition to reference to MG with the octagon badge appears in an Oxford newspaper from November 1923, the MG Octagon was registered as a trademark by Morris Garages on 1 May 1924, with its 90th anniversary being widely celebrated in 2014. Othersdispute this and believe that MG only properly began trading in 1925.
The first cars, known as “Kimber Specials” (or MGs),were rebodied Morris models that used coachwork from Carbodies of Coventry.Morris Garages built them in premises in Alfred Lane, Oxford. Demand soon caused a move to larger premises in Bainton Road in September 1925, sharing space with the Morris radiator works. Continuing expansion meant another move in 1927 to a separate factory in Edmund Road, Cowley, Oxford,near the main Morris factory and for the first time it was possible to include a production line. In 1928, the company had become large enough to warrant an identity separate from the original Morris Garages and the M.G. Car Company Limited was established in March of that year, and in October for the first time a stand was taken at the London Motor Show. Space soon ran out again, and a search for a permanent home led to the lease of part an old leather factory in Abingdon, Oxfordshire in 1929,gradually taking over more space until production ended there in 1980. The MG Car Club was founded in 1930 for owners and enthusiasts of MG cars
The founder of Morris Motors Limited and is remembered as the founder of the Nuffield Foundation, the Nuffield Trust and Nuffield College, Oxford. He took his title from the village of Nuffield in Oxfordshire, where he lived.
n 1912 he designed a car, the “bullnose” Morris and using bought-in components (including engines and axles from USA) began to build them at a disused military training college in Cowley, Oxford. The outbreak of World War I saw the nascent car factory largely given over to the production of munitions—including 50,000 minesinkers for the North Sea Minefield—but in 1919 car production revived rising from 400 cars in that year to 56,000 in 1925. Morris pioneered the introduction to the United Kingdom of Henry Ford’s techniques of mass production. During the period 1919–1925 he built or purchased factories at Abingdon, Birmingham and Swindon to add to those in Oxford.
In February 1927, in competition against—amongst others—its creator, Hebert Austin, Morris paid £730,000 for the assets of the collapsed Wolseley Motors Limited which became his personal property. Wolseley were at this stage in fairly advanced development of an overhead camshaft 8 hp car, which he launched as the first Morris Minor in 1928. The original MG Midget, launched in 1929, was based on the Minor.
When major component suppliers had difficulties he purchased them on his own account. His American engines were now made under licence for him by Hotckiss in Coventry. When in 1923 they were unwilling to expand production Morris bought their business and called it Morris Engines Limited. It would become Morris engines branch when he later sold it to Morris Motors. Again when back-axle manufacturer E. G. Wrigley and Company ran into financial difficulties he bought and reconstituted it as Morris Commercial Cars Limited to manufacture an expanded truck and bus offering. Following the same policy he bought the manufacturer of SU Carburettors in 1926.
THE FIRST MG IS BORN
THE FIRST RECORD IS BROKEN
BEGINNING OF COOL AFTER THE WAR
THE YEAR OF THE CLASSIC MAGNETTE
SET RECORD. BREAK RECORD. REPEAT
NAME’S BOND, MGA BOND
PRINCE CHARLES GETS AN MGC
GREAT THINGS, SMALL PACKAGES
FIVE DOORS, A THOUSAND FANS
A NEW BEGINNING
SAIC SPEARHEADS THE MG BRAND
NEW ERA. NEW DEMANDS. NEW DESIGNS
DESIGN MEETS POWER
The MG5 emerged as an absolute star, being a spectacular compact car with a stunning exterior design, plush interiors and an aggressive 1.5 litre petrol four-cylinder “VTi-Tech” engine.
THE FIRST SUV IS LAUNCHED
THE MAGIC OF E-MOTION
INNOVATION THRIVES WITH THE MG HS