What did Johnson and Johnson start off ?
When it comes to baby products, the first name that comes to most of our minds is Johnson and Johnson. But, the brand name was associated with surgical dressing when it began in 1886.Johnson and Johnson was established by Robert Johnson, James Johnson and Edward Johnson in New Jersey, after they split from their former company Seabury & Johnson. It was during the same time that Joseph Lister advocated the use of antiseptics and their importance. Johnson brothers were inspired by his speech and decided to start a business in order to create a line of ready-to-use surgical dressings.
In 1894, they ventured into baby business. Their maternity kits and baby powder became extremely popular
Today, Johnson and Johnson focuses o three main areas: consumer items, medical devices and diagnostics and pharmaceuticals.
Its common stock is a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the company is ranked No. 37 on the 2018 Fortune 500 list of the largest United States corporations by total revenue. J&J is one of the world’s most valuable companies.The corporation includes some 250 subsidiary companies with operations in 60 countries and products sold in over 175 countries. Johnson & Johnson had worldwide sales of $70.1 billion during calendar year 2015
The inspired speech of antiseptic advocate Joseph Lister, Robert Wood Johnson joined his brothers James Wood Johnson and Edward Mead Johnson to create a line of ready-to-use surgical dressings in 1885. The company produced its first products in 1886 and incorporated in 1887. Those products already featured a logo resembling the signature of James Wood Johnson, very similar to the logo used today. It is one of the longest-used company logos in the world.
The company’s business is divided into three major segments, Pharmaceuticals, Medical Devices, and Consumer Products. In 2015, these segments contributed 44.9%, 35.9%, and 19.2%, respectively, of the company’s total revenues.The company’s major franchises in the Pharmaceutical segment include Immunology, Neuroscience, Infectious Disease, and Oncology.
Medical devices such as
- Aesthetics (Ethicon, Mentor)
- Arrhythmias (Biosense Webster)
- Bariatric Surgery for Obesity (Ethicon)
- Cardiovascular Disease (Biosense Webster, Inc.)
- Diabetes Care (LifeScan, Animas Corporation)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat Conditions (Acclarent)
- General Surgery (Ethicon, Codman Neuro)
- Hernia Surgery (Ethicon)
- Insulin Delivery Devices (Animas)
- Neurovascular Disease (Codman Neuro, DePuy Synthes)
- Orthopaedics (DePuy Synthes): Joint Reconstruction, Trauma, Spine, Sports Medicine and Power Tools
- Self-Measured Blood Glucose Monitors (LifeScan)
- Surgical Instruments and Infection Prevention(Advanced Sterilization Products)
- Urologic Surgery (Ethicon)
- Vision Care (VISTAKON®)