Google Duo lets users make video calls in high definition. It is optimized for low-bandwidth networks. End-to-end encryption is enabled by default. Duo is based on phone numbers, allowing users to call someone from their contact list. The app automatically switches between Wi-Fi and cellular networks. A “Knock Knock” feature lets users see a live preview of the caller before answering. An update in April 2017 lets users worldwide make audio-only calls. Google Duo was announced at Google’s developer conference on May 28, 2016, and began its international rollout on Androidand iOS devices starting August 16, 2016. In an email sent to Android phone manufacturers on October 5, 2016, Google announced that, starting December 1, 2016, Google Duo replaced Hangouts within the suite of Google apps Android phone makers must pre-install on devices, with Hangouts instead becoming an optional app for phone makers to pre-install.
Google Duo video calls are in 720p HD video.It is optimized for low-bandwidth mobile networks through WebRTC and uses QUIC over UDP. Optimization is further achieved through the degradation of video quality through monitoring network quality”Knock Knock” shows a live preview of the caller before the recipient picks up, which Google says is to “make calls feel more like an invitation rather than an interruption”.End-to-end encryption is enabled by default. Duo is based on phone numbers, allowing users to call people from their contact list. The app automatically switches between Wi-Fi and cellular networks. In March 2017, it was announced that Googe Duo would let users make audio-only calls. The feature was first launched in Brazil, with a global rollout in April
Making a call in Google Duo
- Tap Video Call.
- Select the personyou’d like to call from your contacts or type in the number you’d like to reach. Note: The number of your contact must include the country code, for example a U.S. number would be 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX.
- Duo will call your contact, making your video visiblewith Knock Knock.
- To end your call, tap the red phone button in the bottom centerof your screen.
Tapping the screen while in a Duo call will bring up controls for the call.
- To mute your microphone during a call, tap the mute buttonabove your video preview in the bottom left corner.
- To switch cameras during a call, tap the camera buttonabove the mute button on the left side of the screen.
- If you are connected to a Bluetooth headset, you can switch between Bluetooth and the internal speaker/microphoneusing the Bluetooth button above the camera button on the left side of the screen.