Youtube history and Google Acquisition
The youtube is the top video sharing platform in the world.The youtube is developed by three Paypal employees in the year 14 feb 2005. The founders are Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim. The youtube domain name is activated in 14 feb 2005 and the software has video sharing option is created in 2005 april 23 onwards. The first video of me at zoo, it was uploaded by Jawed Karim. The video was 18 second shot by Yakov at the San Diego Zoo, featuring Karim in front of the elephants in their old exhibit in Elephant Mesa, making note of their long trunks.
The first venture firm Sequoia Capital invested an initial $3.5 million on November 2005. One year after the launching of Youtube become one the fastest growing website of WWW. The website has 65000 video uploads and 100 million views by July .According to Alexia fifth most popular website in the world.According to the website Hitwise.com, YouTube commanded up to 64% of the UK online video market.The youtube is entry to the marketing and advertising partnership of NBC in June 2006.
The Youtube hit on the website the Google is plan to buy it. In October 9, 2006 announced that the company would be purchased by Google for US$1.65 billion in stock, which was completed on November 13. At that time it was Google’s second-largest acquisition.The YouTube is planned to continue operate independently, with its co-founders and 68 employees working within Google.
- 2007, YouTube consumed as much bandwidth as the entire Internet in 2000.
- 2007, the YouTube Awards are annual awards given out in recognition of the best YouTube videos of the preceding year as voted by the YouTube community.
- November 2008, YouTube reached an agreement with MGM, Lions Gate Entertainment, and CBS, allowing the companies to post full-length films and television episodes on the site, accompanied by advertisements in a section for US viewers called “Shows”. The move was intended to create competition with websites such as Hulu, which features material from NBC, Fox, and Disney.
- 2009, YouTube registered the domain
www.youtube-nocookie.comfor videos embedded on United States federal government websites.
- In 2010 YouTube introduced an online film rentals service which is currently available only to users in the US, Canada and the UK.
- March 31, 2010, YouTube launched a new design with the aim of simplifying the interface and increasing the time users spend on the site.
- In January 2012, YouTube stated that the figure had increased to four billion videos streamed per day.
- In 2011-2012 YouTube launched over 100 “premium” or “original” channels. It was reported the initiative cost $100 million.
- In March 2013, the number of unique users visiting YouTube every month reached 1 billion.